BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

surrender

Surrender is a funny thing.

Surrender: The act of giving up control and entrusting the outcome to someone or something outside of ones' self. That is the Stephanie definition, anyway.

Specifically, God tells his followers to surrender our lives to Him. To give up our plans, give up control, and use our talents, passions and abilities, not for our own fulfillment or gain, but to live for Him to further His kingdom and give glory to His Name.

I'd never considered this much of a challenge until recently. I haven't ever had any specific dreams that I feel I must accomplish in this life; sure, I have a bucket list, but in terms of life direction, I've always been pretty unsure, yet with the attitude that God would guide me to what He wanted me to do, and cause my desire to match His.

But what happens when you do have a dream? A dream that excites you, and rivets you, and sets your heart running... yet you fear to bring it to God to ask Him about it for fear He'll ask you to give it up? Hm. Well, that's when surrender begins to take on a whole new meaning.

I've heard the phrase growing up; "Hold your friends with an open hand." And I think 'friends' could also be substituted with 'dreams'. The weird thing is... it's hard to do. To have an idea of what you want to do but then be willing, be truly willing to give it up if He asks.

But what's even more difficult is beginning to realize that your dream does look different than God's plan for you. And being willing to listen to alternatives.

Surrendering my life to God isn't something that happens only in the first moments of the salvation process. It's a daily thing. And something that also applies to our dreams and future aspirations. And while this has been a part of my head knowledge for quite some time... It's taking on new meaning now. So I thought I'd share!

Out.

0 comments: