So I woke up this morning thinking a pretty deep thought. In fact, as I regained my consciousness, I realized that I was exploring a metaphor.
So naturally, this must be a God thing.
Unpacking this metaphor was very interesting. I was thinking of the very simple image of holding a baseball. I began to explore the thought that whether a person holds the ball tightly in their fist, or just barely gripping it with the tips of two fingers, it would still be said that they are "holding the ball". The question is only the strength of the grip.
Then the word "church" popped into my head.
I don't know how airtight this metaphor is, but for what it is worth, I think I could learn from it. I began to think of the baseball as the mystery of God, and the hand as the church. Let's say many different hands (different types of the Church) get to hold this baseball. Some hands may hold it with three or four fingers; some may grip it with all their might, closing their palm as close to the ball as possible, but of course still having some of the ball untouched; and some may just barely be hanging on with two fingertips.
But on some level...
...they're still all holding the same ball.
God's been teaching me lately about judging others. And I think this is something He wants me to know- on the most important level... all Christians are on the same level. The important part is to have the ball: whatever level of strength the grip has is less important than the vital fact of possession.
Then I began to think of the ball as our personal faith life, and the hand as each of our personal lives.
And in that sense, something should definitely be said about strength of grip. Those whose hands are touching more of the ball, in a tighter grasp- walking closer with God, seeking His will, learning His ways by reading His Word- will be more prepared for the times of trouble. In continuing with the metaphor, someone will eventually walk by and try to whack the ball out of our hands. If your grip is only with 2 fingers, it will fall faster than if your hand is firmly gripped.
However. I don't believe that we can accidentally lose God by our own weakness. If we had the strength to keep Him, He wouldn't have sent Jesus, would He?
So God showed me one more thing in this metaphor.
A catchers mitt. Directly below our hands.
For when we fumble the ball, and drop it, it doesn't drop far. For Someone catches that ball for us, and helps us to hold it once more. And if we listen, we realize that all along that that Someone has been right next to us, whispering in our ears, telling us from the beginning how to hold the ball at all.
Anyways, just thought I'd share something that God taught me today! And the day has just begun, how sweet is that?!
Out.
Thursday, March 4, 2010
good morning
Posted by Stephanie at 9:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment