BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

a corner of the mind #1

My mind works in mysterious ways.

Not to compare my mind with God in any way... but I wonder sometimes if anyone else on the planet thinks like I do.

My mind tends to work, I've noticed, in particularly abstract and strange ways while I'm taking a driving shift. I begin to notice things and think about them.

I know what you're thinking. Ooh Steph, you notice stuff and think about it? Deep... *fool*. well hold up, give me a chance here.

For example, on one of the last driving stints I took, somewhere between cranbrook and lacombe, I was particularly noticing the yellow lines. I wondered who determined when the lines should be dotted and when they should be solid, and how that was determined: whether by a certain minimum distance, or who measured the visibility of that particular stretch of road, and how that could be measured, or if it's less a calculated effort, and more of an estimate of a sensible person. Then define "sensible".

My mind whirled through this thought process in a matter of seconds. And as I drove along further I began to wonder if I was the person who made that call, if I would have agreed with whatever line I was driving beside: if it was solid, whether or not I would have thought it should be dotted, that sort of thing.

Other than the lines on roads, I also wonder if the distance between streetlights is constant or not, what the metronome marking my windshield wipers and turning signal are, or why they NEVER EVER EVER go in time with the music I'm listening to... no matter what genre it is. GAAAH!!

Yes, I am that much of a nerd.

I have so many things that I randomly think of... but the thing is, I only think of them when my mind is in a relaxed and blank state; a state I am not in right now.

Though this is kind of a fun topic, so I think I will write again, when I think of more things.

So i will number this post as #1. More to come, all you who have nothing better to do than explore the nooks and crannies of my mind with me!

Out.

0 comments: